Wednesday, June 24, 2009
So... if you are really hungry for lots of ice cream, this will be the best thing you ever tasted. Seriously though, it is such a great recipe, and AMAZING right out of the ice cream maker, but after you put it in the freezer, it gets SO hard. Nothing a little standing out at room temperature can't fix, but dang, I want to know what the secret is from those folks who are selling various coconut based ice creams in the store. Must examine labels for clues....
Pumpkin Ice Cream
* 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
* 1 15 ounce can full fat coconut milk
* 2/3 cup sugar or xylitol or hmmm, maybe I should try agave....
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
* 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Whisk together ingredients until smooth.
2. Place mixture into an electric ice cream maker and operate machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
3. When mixture is thick, place ice cream into a freezer container to firm up as desired (it should be like soft-serve out of the machine).
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance
2 tablespoons sugar or xylitol (would also like to try honey and agave!)
Sift the first 3 ingredients into a small bowl; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients well. Add the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth with no lumps. It will look a bit like cornbread batter. Spread in a greased 8x4" loaf pan and bake at 350º for 40 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
1 head fresh cauliflower, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced
Cooking oil, 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 egg, beaten
3 green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon 5 spice powder (optional, but I love it this way!)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Optional: I have added frozen peas and/or cooked chicken pieces
Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet on medium to medium-high. Add the cauliflower and garlic; stir-fry until the cauliflower is nearly tender, but not mushy. Stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Push the cauliflower to one side of the pan; pour in the beaten egg. Lightly scramble the egg briefly then mix into the cauliflower. Add the green onion, 5 spice, pepper and toss.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Quick Broccoli Slaw
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 3 tablespoons lime juice
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1 (8 ounce) package broccoli coleslaw mix
1. Combine mayonnaise, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt to taste in small bowl.
2. Mix well.
3. Place slaw in large bowl and toss with dressing.
I am also doing a low glycemic index diet in the hopes of finally getting rid of some of my baby weight. Yeah, it has been a year, and I haven't lost a pound! So that is the theme of alot of the recipes I am doing these days.
On to some new posts....