Chicken Marbella

Wow, it has been a long time since I posted something here. I actually thought this recipe was already here, but when I went to look for it, I couldn't find it. I make it for a potluck recently, and everybody loved it, so I figured it was about time I get it posted!

Chicken Marbella

2 lbs chicken thigh pieces, skinless and boneless, cut each piece into 4
1/2 head garlic, peeled and finely pureed (this works out to about 6-8 cloves)
1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
12 pitted prunes, cut in half
6 dried apricots, cut in half (I have also used canned for a friend watching her sulfur intake)
1/2 cup pitted Spanish green olives
1/3 cup capers, with a bit of juice
3 bay leaves
1/4 cup - 1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white wine
1/3 cup Italian parsley or 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, for garnish (I am usually lazy and leave this off, and it is still great)

Directions:
1. In a large bowl combine chicken quarters, garlic, oregano, pepper, salt, vinegar, olive oil, prunes, apricots, olives, capers and juice, bay leaves, brown sugar and white wine.
2. Cover and let marinate, refrigerated, overnight, or for as long as you can. (I almost always forget to do it the night before, and it is still great) .
3. Preheat oven to 350°F.
4. Arrange chicken in a single layer in a large, shallow baking pan and spoon marinade over it evenly.
5. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting frequently with pan juices, until chicken is done.
6. With a slotted spoon transfer chicken, prunes, olives and capers to a serving platter. Moisten with a few spoonfuls of pan juices and sprinkle generously with parsley or cilantro. Pass remaining pan juices in a sauceboat.
7. I am thinking this would make an awesome dump recipe as well, although I haven't actually tried it that way.

Comments