I Thought I Didn't Like Kale Salad

OK, if I am being totally honest, I have to admit I did have a kale salad I liked, once, awhile ago, but not enough I was inspired to try making one at home. Until now. I am working on expanding my veggie horizons, and decided to do some research into dressings and things that go well with kale. I am glad I did as not only do I now have a new favorite salad recipe, which will also be a great potluck item I think, but I am in love with the dressing for any salad and might try it out as a sauce for other things as well! This recipe makes alot, and how much you use will depend on how big your salad gets, but you will be happy to have leftovers if you don't use it all! 

  I Thought I Didn't Like Kale Salad 

 Ingredients: 
 Dressing: 
 1/3 cup olive oil 
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar (get Bragg's if you can for the robust flavor!) 
3 tablespoons coconut aminos (or wheat free tamari if you do soy) 
3 tablespoons tahini 
2 cloves garlic , minced 
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano 
1/2 teaspoon dried basil (you could also mix this up with other herbs you like) 

Other Stuff: 
 4 packed cups kale in small pieces with thick ribs removed (or you can use even more if your bowl is big enough! Remember it will shrink after you put the dressing on.) 
1 large or 2 small cooked beets, chopped (you could probably use fresh grated as well, but I think the flavor of cooked is better for this recipe) 
3 TB pine nuts (or sub another nut if you prefer, but I think the pine nut flavor is killer here) 
1 ripe avocado, diced 
handful of sprouts (optional, but I like the extra layer of texture they give) 
Other veggies you have on hand if you want - good additions would be finely chopped carrot, cabbage, jicama, peppers... 
Fresh ground pepper (optional) 

 Instructions: 
 Put all the dressing ingredients in a blender, food processor or immersion blender container and mix them up. Put the kale in big bowl and pour over your desired amount of dressing, allowing it to be liberal enough to coat whatever else you plan to add. Massage the dressing in for a few minutes - this will help the kale mellow out its toughness a bit. I usually let it sit for a bit at this point, anywhere from 5 minutes to a half hour, depending on what I have going on, but you don't have to. Add everything else except the avocado and give it a good toss. Add the avocado just before serving and toss just enough to mix it in. Top with some fresh ground pepper if you so desire, but I think it has enough zip just the way it is! Now I challenge you to see how long it lasts! I usually end up eating 2 or 3 bowls a day when it is around!

Comments