These were all new recipes for me, and I love them all! I swear the baby almost finished the yams before they even got to the table lol. And the green beans seemed like the ones my mom used to make for holiday meals, and indeed they were very close!
Baked Ham with Horseradish Glaze
* Spiral cut ham
* 1/2 cup crushed pineapple (with 1/2 amount of its juice)
* 1/2 cup apple jelly or cranberry jelly
* 4 teaspoons prepared horseradish
* 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
* 1/4 cup maple syrup
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon allspice
1. Start ham cooking based on package directions.
2. In a medium sauce pan over low heat add remaining ingredients, stir and melt.
3. Brush this on ham a few times during the last half hour of cooking.
4. Bring the rest to the table to enjoy!
Green Beans With Bacon and Onions
* 3 lbs fresh green beans, stem ends removed
* 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 8 slices pepper bacon, chopped
* 2 quarts chicken stock
* salt and pepper
1. In a large heavy pot or Dutch Oven add the olive oil.
2. Heat to medium high.
3. Add the onions and bacon.
4. Cook until the onions are soft and browning lightly, about 8 minutes.
5. Add the green beans and chicken stock.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring a few times until green beans are soft, about 30 minutes.
7. Your liquid should be cooked down, giving the green beans a "glazed" look, or coating if you will.
8. Salt and pepper to taste.
Balsamic Roasted Yams
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar, packed
* 1/4 cup Earth Balance (I am thinking these might be good with coconut oil too!
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 3 large red skinned yams, peeled, cut into 1 1/4 inch dice
* fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a large skillet and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
3. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly.
4. Add Earth Balance and salt and stir until it melts.
5. Add yams to the pan, stir to coat and season with black pepper.
6. Spread yams evenly on a rimmed cookie sheet.
7. Bake 40 minutes, or until yams are tender, stirring occasionally.