Saturday, November 14, 2009
Raw Zucchini Pesto
I thought this was pretty good, but I think I like my other pesto better. If I do this again, I will just make that and toss the veggies with it. But here is the original in case you don't like nutritional yeast or just want to try something different! You can also see from the picture I was lazy about separating my "noodles" lol, but it was still good!
Angel-Hair Zucchini "pasta" With Fresh Pesto
* 3 medium zucchini, peeled
* 1 medium zebra green tomato, seeded and chopped
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1 pinch sea salt
* 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
* 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/2 cup pine nuts (preferably raw)
* 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
1. Using a vegetable peeler or a spiral vegetable slicer, slice the outer zucchini flesh into lenthwise strips, discaring any seeds.
2. Stack the strips and then slice them into thinner "noodles".
3. Place the zucchini noodles in a medium bowl and add chopped tomato, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.
4. Place all pesto ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth, with just a few nuts visible for texture.
5. Gently toss the zucchini and tomato mixture with just enough pesto to coat.
6. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.