Vegan Pesto

So... it is ironic that I originally wanted this blog to have more dinner recipes on it, and now Orion has weaned and Ron is on Atkins, which means alot of dairy. I want to make sure I am still trying some dinner recipes here and there, though, so here is my first one. I actually made this for lunch today.

I have been pretty blah on the recipes with nutritional yeast I have tried so far, but this was killer good! It was even better than I expected. I was thinking I would stir some parmesan into mine, but I didn't even want to. And I am a huge pesto fan. Most importantly, Orion loved it!


Here it is in the food processor:And stirred into some rice pasta:

Vegan Pesto

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1 cup pine nuts (other nuts, such as almonds or walnuts may be substituted)
• 5 cloves garlic
• 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor until nuts are ground. Pesto should still have texture and not be completely smooth. Add more salt and pepper to taste and enjoy! One variation is to add 1/2 cup rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just wanted to let you know that I stumbled upon your blog looking for a vegan pesto recipe that was somewhat flexible.

I love that picture of your son, it's so funny and adorable!

Thanks for providing me with help with tonight's dinner!
~M said…
This vegan pesto recipe looks great & easy! I, too, was looking for one that is vegan and gluten-free.