Perfected Lentils

Yes, I do feel that way about the recipe. :) I started with a different recipe and messed with it until it was just perfect, for me at least. And it is sooooo easy. I like to make a pot in the beginning of the week and use it for lunch all week.

Lentil & Spinach Stew


Ingredients

* 1/2 cup onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 can coconut milk plus enough water to make 5 cups total liquid
* 1 cup lentils, rinsed
* 4 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules
* 3 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 cup carrot, chopped
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender.
Add the coconut milk, water, lentils, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce,
salt, curry powder, pepper; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

2. Add carrots, tomatoes and spinach; return to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer until lentils are tender.

NOTES:
* The coconut milk isn't really necessary, but I love it that way.
* You could probably just use stock instead of the water plus bouillon, but I have been doing it that way based on the original recipe.
* The original recipe called for thyme instead of curry. It was good that way, as well, but I like it with curry better.
* I have used canned carrots with fine results.
* I have thrown potatoes in at the same time as the carrots when I have them.

Comments