Caribbean Red Bean Stew
* 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 cups sliced baby carrots
* 3 scallions, chopped
* 1 sweet potato, diced
* 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
* 2 ts curry powder
* 1/2 ts dried thyme
* 1/4 ts red pepper flakes
* 1/4 ts ground allspice
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 (16 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
* 1 (14 oz) can unsweetened light coconut milk
* 1 - 2 cups vegetable broth or water
1. Pour the oil into a 4-quart slow crockpot and set the cooker on high. Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
2. Add the carrots, scallions, sweet potato, and tomatoes to the crockpot.
3. Stir in the curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth.
5. Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.