So I have a confession to make about this recipe - I forgot to put the stuff in after cooking lol! It was still good even without it, so I bet it is better with. It is alot like a chili, but with more complexity in the spices.
Two Bean Quinoa Crockpot Stew
* 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
* 3 cups water or bean cooking liquid
* 1 1/2 cup cooked kidney beans or 1 can, drained and rinsed
* 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans or 1 can, drained and rinsed
* 1 cup tomato sauce or 1/4 cup tomato paste + 3/4 cup water
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* 1/4 cup chopped onion
* 1 celery stalk, diced
* 3 cloves minced garlic
* 2 Tbsp minced jalapeño pepper
* 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
* 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
* 1 tsp cumin powder
* 2 tsp ground coriander
* 1 tsp paprika
* 1 tsp dried basil leaf
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
* 1/2 tsp dried marjoram leaf
* 1/4 tsp chipotle pepper powder
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 Tbsp light molasses
* 1 Tbsp soy sauce
* 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
* Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. Rinse the quinoa well and let it drain for a bit. Toast it in a skillet until it is popping.
2. Sauté jalapeno, onion, garlic, celery, and peppers in oil for 5 minutes on med-high heat.
3. Add spices and stir for 2 minutes.
4. Combine with water, tomato sauce, salt, quinoa and beans in a crockpot.
5. Cover and cook on low for 5 - 6 hours.
6. Add soy sauce, molasses and pepper.
7. Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and sour cream (optional)