Wow this was sooo good! This is one of those lovely simple recipes where the sum is so much greater than its parts! My only complaint was the chicken sitting on top seemed kindof plain. Don't see why you couldn't just cut it up and stir it in with everything else. Or leave it out depending on how many you are feeding.... I thought it was a bit odd it called for black beans, but I think you could probably use any two beans of your choice for this dish.
* 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 lb.)
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1/4 cup dry red wine
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1. In a large skillet, brown the chicken thighs in hot oil over med-low heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
2. Remove chicken from skillet; reserve drippings in skillet.
3. Add carrots, onion, and garlic to skillet; cover and cook about 10 minutes or just until the carrots are tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in drained beans, tomato sauce, wine, thyme, and allspice; stir in sausage.
5. Transfer to an ungreased 2 quart casserole dish.
6. Place chicken on top.
7. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.