Pork Tenderloin with Merlot Mushrooms

Oh my, was this gooood! And I now am a believer that browning meat first actually DOES something lol. I consider myself a pretty good good - even great depending on the type of food in question, but being a mostly vegetarian most of my life, I never learned much about cooking meat. I always thought the browning step was a waste of time or just for looks at best, but somebody told me recently it helps to seal in the juices, and I believe it after eating this dish. I rarely eat pork, but I wanted to try this recipe and am glad I did! And OK, I made it with butter. I figured it wasn't that much, and my kids aren't horribly sensitive. I can only say, I hope it is as good with Earth Balance. :)

Pork Tenderloin with Merlot Mushrooms

Ingredients

* 1 package pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon Earth Balance or other butter substitute
* 1/4 cup merlot

For The Mushrooms

* 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms or portabella mushrooms, halved
* 2 teaspoons butter substitute
* reserved stock
* 2 teaspoons minced garlic
* 1/2 cup merlot
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Directions

1. Rub the minced garlic into the tenderloins and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan and sear the tenderloins on all sides until browned.
3. Place tenderloins in a shallow baking pan and add the wine to the saute pan and simmer for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the tbsp of butter and heat until just melted.
5. Pour half of the sauce from the saute pan over the tenderloins, reserving the rest of the sauce for the mushrooms.
6. Bake the tenderloins at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
7. During baking, heat 2 tsp butter sub and the reserved sauce in a saute pan.
8. Add 2 tsp minced garlic and the mushrooms and saute on high heat until golden brown.
9. Add the 1/2 cup Merlot and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
10. Season with the salt and pepper.
11. Serve the mushrooms on the side or slice the pork tenderloins and serve a small amount of the mush

Comments