Friday, December 18, 2009
Raw Coconut Pie
So... this recipe was originally called a "raw cheesecake", but the coconut flavor is so predominant, I am renaming it. :) I suppose if you used a different kind of oil, it would be more mild, but the crust would still have alot of coconut flavor. To be honest, I think the crust is the best part though!
Raw Coconut Pie
* 2 cups raw macadamia nuts
* 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
* 1/2 cup pitted medjool dates
* 1/4 cup dried coconut
* 6 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (gently warmed)
* 1/4 cup lime juice
* 1/4 cup raw agave nectar or honey
* 1/2 sun-dried vanilla bean or you can just use 1 ts vanilla extract
* Optional: 3 cups mixed berries, such as blueberries and raspberries
1. Place macadamia nuts in large bowl, and cover with cold water. Place cashews in separate bowl, and cover with cold water. Soak nuts 4 hours, then rinse, drain, and set aside.
2. Pulse macadamia nuts and dates in food processor to a sticky crumb-like consistency. Sprinkle dried coconut on bottom of 8-inch pie pan. Press macadamia nut mixture onto coconut to make crust.
3. Place cashews, coconut oil, lime juice, agave nectar or honey, and 6 Tbs. water in bowl of food processor. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into food processor bowl, and purée until smooth. Pour mixture onto crust, and freeze 1 to 2 hours, or until firm. Remove from freezer, slice while frozen, and transfer to serving platter. Defrost in fridge 1 hour, or on countertop 30 minutes; top with berries if desired and serve.