Thaiish Chicken

I have to chuckle at my title as this has been a theme around here. Now keep in mind I used to be the queen of time consuming authentic ethnic cooking, but these days I am all about easy. So when I find these various recipes called Thai, Moroccan, etc. that are barely in the ballpark, we have been adding the "ish" to them. I had seen various versions of this and thought it sounded kindof odd, but I had some thighs to use up and figured I would try something new. I'm glad I did because everybody really liked it. I ran out of time to do it in the crockpot and just mixed the sauce together, poured it over the chicken and baked it in the oven. It sounds like it would have alot more sauce the slowcooker way, so I am excited to try it again!

8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
3/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
Salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped, 1 1/2 ounces

2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped


Place the chicken pieces in a slow cooker.
Combine the remaining ingredients except the xanthan gum, peanuts and cilantro, adding salt to taste; pour over the chicken.
Cook on LOW about 4-5 hours or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
Remove the chicken from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
Skim the fat from the sauce and thicken with xanthan gum, if desired.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro.

Comments