Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

Batter in the pan:
Finished bread:
Finished muffins:


Lawdy, lawdy, I impressed myself with this one! I was researching recipes using cocoa powder and found one I decided to try and adapt. I made the full recipe even though I only have one bread pan and decided to go ahead and make muffins with the rest of the batter. I'm really glad I did, because I thought the muffins were even better! The bread seemed to start getting a bit dark around the edge before the middle was done, but the muffins cooked up just perfectly! The bread was also quite crumbly, to the point you couldn't really hold a full piece without it falling apart, but the muffins held together nicely. The most amazing thing about this recipe, however, was that it had almost none of that "gluten free baked good flavor". Maybe chocolate is the great disguiser!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread / Muffins

Ingredients

3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil - I used canola but would LOVE to try them with coconut oil!
2 cups sugar (I used xylitol with great results)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups zucchini, shredded (about 1 medium)
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup flax meal
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon baking powder



Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla.
2. Stir in zucchini.
3. Combine dry ingredients; add to zucchini mixture and mix well.
4. Pour into two greased 8x4x3-inch loaf pans or muffins liners - I was concerned that it called for greased, so I used the shiny ones with a quick spray of nonstick canola. I wish I would have tried one in regular paper as a test!
5. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until bread tests done. I cooked the muffins about 25 minutes I think.


Makes 2 loaves or about 24 muffins - that is a really rough estimation as I am not sure how close to half I was with the bread pan.

ETA: Both the bread and the muffins seemed a bit dry on the second day, but they were rockin good the first day, especially still warm!

Comments