This was so amazingly good. I found it looking for something fast I could make in the crockpot to take to a potluck. I didn't even bother with any of the browning nonsense. I just layered it all in the pot and turned it on. Easiest dish ever. I was taking it to have after a meeting that was going to last about 2 hours, so I decided to go for 3 hours on high and then 2 on low. It was perfect, literally falling off the bone. Also, I think it would be just as good without the lentils, but if you have them on hand, it makes it all the heartier!
Crock-Pot Moroccan Chicken and Lentils
* 6 chicken thighs (bone-in, skin off)
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1 small onion, sliced
* 4 garlic cloves, sliced (to taste, or depending on how strong the garlic is)
* 1/2 lb brown lentils
* 2 teaspoons paprika
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 2 cups chicken broth or stock
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* nonstick cooking spray
1.Spray the inside of the crock-pot with non-stick spray.
2. Use the onion slices to cover the bottom of the crock-pot, and then sprinkle the garlic slices on top. Sprinkle a small pinch of salt and pepper over the onions and garlic.
3. Rinse and pat dry the chicken thighs. Sprinkle with salt (lightly) and apply a thin dusting of cornstarch- rub in lightly.
4. Pre-heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high with the olive oil. Place chicken in pan with enough room for steam to escape. (You may have to brown in separate batches, depending on your pan and your chicken. You definitely don't want to crowd the pan; we are going for brown here, not steamed.) Cook until brown, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and brown on the other side. Remove from heat.
5. Mix the spices together in a small bowl. Sprinkle about 1/3 of the mix over the onions and garlic.
6. Place chicken in an even layer on top of onions in the crock-pot. Sprinkle 1/3 of the spices on the chicken.
7. Pour the lentils on top of the chicken and sprinkle the rest of the spices on top. Pour the chicken broth over the top, turn the crock-pot on high, and cover. Cook for about 4 hours.