Microwave Brownies

I am not much for cooking in the microwave, but I figured I would try this recipe as written to see how it came out. Well... the taste was amazing, but they were SO dry. I am not sure if substituting coconut oil had anything to do with it. I have done that successfully before, but you never know. It made them such a great flavor. Maybe I will try half coconut oil and half Earth Balance next time and also add some rice milk. The batter was clearly too dry right when I put it into the pan, but in the interest of science, I followed the original proportions the first time.

Here is the batter - you can see how thick it looks.And here they are freshly baked. I thought they looked pretty good until I tried one! Also, I didn't use the glaze or frosting in the recipe.

Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Brownies


2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar (I used xylitol)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup melted butter or canola oil (I used coconut oil)
3/4 cup sifted rice flour
1/2 cup sifted cocoa
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out)

Peppermint Icing

2 tablespoons butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract

Glaze

2 tablespoons butter
1/4-1/3 cup chocolate chips


1. Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and salt for one minute.
2. Add melted butter or canola oil. Stir well with a wooden spoon (not mixer) so that the sugar is well mixed with the butter or oil. Stir in the sifted flour, cocoa and walnuts Lightly spray or grease a glass 10 by 10 inch baking pan.
3. Microwave on High for 5- 6 minutes.
4. When done the top looks dry but will spring back.
5. In a 1000 watt microwave I recommend baking on medium high for 5- 6 minutes.
6. Icing Stir together icing ingredients and spread over cooled brownies.
7. Glaze Melt ingredients together in glass measuring cup in the microwave for about 1 minute on medium.
8. Drizzle over peppermint icing layer.
9. Chill and slice.
10. Makes about 25 squares.

Comments