and brown on the way out. And yes, I am a sloptastic cook when it comes to muffins!
Final analysis: The flavor was good, but the muffins stuck to the paper. I hate that. I wish I knew enough about cooking to know what would fix that. Orion really liked them warm right out of the oven, but they didn't end up a long lasting hit. I might make them again, but they would be more for me than him I guess. Oh, and it made well over 12 - more like 16.
Strawberry Banana Muffins (Gluten-Free)
1 1/4 cups rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Earth Balance
1/3 cup sugar or xylitol
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup rice milk
1 1/2 cups strawberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly oil a mufffin tin or fill with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together the rice flour, potato starch, tapioce flour, xanthan gum, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to mix.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the Earth Balance and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs ans add the vanilla and rice milk, stirring well. The mixture will be quite lumpy.
- Mash the bananas and fold them with the strawberries into the wet ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to form a thick batter.
- Spoon a generous 1/3 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Bake for 25-30 minutes. After about 15 min, turn the tin to ensure even baking. Insert a paring knife into a muffin; when the blade comes out clean the muffins are done.
- Place the tin on a cooling rack for a few minutes, the remove the muffins from the tin and place them on rack. Serve warm or at room teomperature. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.