Shortbread

I have been wanting to try these for awhile since I am a huge shortbread fan.

Orion was back to loving dough, and I didn't mind him eating this as it had no sugar and no raw eggs. He liked it so much I am thinking I should just serve it up to him as a dessert in a bowl like a pudding or something! It is no wonder considering how much he likes to eat plain Earth Balance!

I have to say, though, real shortbread these are not, but they were still pretty darn good. I noticed something interesting. Right out of the oven, they had a very rice flour flavor. The dough reminded me of the sugar cookies I liked so much around Solstice, and then I remembered those had the same flavor right at first. It seems that some gluten free recipes go through something like a blending process and taste better in a day or two.

Anyway, here is the dough!
Then the next step is rolling it into balls.
Then you can either press them down with a fork or your thumb. The recipe suggested jam in the thumbprint ones, so I made some with my homemade xylitol jam and some with TJ's pumpkin butter. I also stuck chocolate chips in one row, which was a very popular choice with Orion. :)
And here they are out of the oven. The recipe said they would brown on the edges, which they didn't do, but I went ahead and pulled them at the max time.
Hehe, these two that ended up next to each other on the towel reminded me of nunus.
And I liked this one because it looked like a flower. Yeah, I am easily amused.



Gluten Free Melt-In-Your-Mouth Shortbread


24 cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup icing sugar (I used xylitol with fine results)
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup Earth Balance


1. Sift cornstarch, sugar and rice flour together.
2. Add Earth Balance.
3. Mix with hands until soft dough forms. Refrigerate one hour.
4. Shape dough into 1" balls.
5. Place about 1-1/4 inches apart on greased cookie sheet; flatten with lightly floured fork (I used potato starch).
6. Bake at 300ºF(150ºC) for 20-25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.

VARIATIONS: Form balls as above. Roll in finely crushed corn flakes or crushed nuts. Press top of ball with thumb. Add a dab of jelly.
Or mix in 2 tbls. finely chopped peel and/or 2 tbls. finely chopped nuts. Flatten with lightly floured fork.

Comments