Here they are just into the oven
and just out - they look pretty much the same!
Orion checking out the batter.
4 dozen2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar (I used xylitol)
1/4 teaspoon mint extract (I used almond)
3-6 drops green food coloring (Orion chose yellow)
green colored sprinkles (optional)
- Heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Grease 2 large cookie sheets, set aside.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tarter, and salt in medium bowl.
- Beat until foamy.
- Add sugar 1 tbls at a time, beating until egg whites are very stiff and glossy and sugar is disolved.
- beat in mint extract and food color.
- Fit a decorater bag with a large star tip.
- spoon meringue into bag.
- Pipe meringue in 1 inch puffs on prepared cookie sheets. (I just plopped them on with a spoon)
- Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
- Place cookie sheets on center rack of preheated oven.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Remove from cookie sheet immediately, cool completely on wire racks.