Meringues

I actually made these a couple days ago, but I am glad I waited to post because they have changed.... I decided to try almond instead of mint, since I am just meh on mint but love almond. The weird thing was, you couldn't even taste it after they were cooked. What they most tasted like to me was a lightly toasted marshmallow! I am also meh on marshmallows, but fine by me as they are a great snack for Orion and then I won't eat them. With almost nothing in them except egg and xylitol, what could be better? The other odd thing is that they came out of the oven really sticky. I had never made regular meringues, so I wasn't sure if this was a function of the xylitol, but today they are all dried out, just like the ones I have had from the store.

Here they are just into the oven
and just out - they look pretty much the same!
Orion checking out the batter.

Mint Meringues

4 dozen

2 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar (I used xylitol)
1/4 teaspoon mint extract (I used almond)
3-6 drops green food coloring (Orion chose yellow)
green colored sprinkles (optional)
  1. Heat oven to 200 degrees.
  2. Grease 2 large cookie sheets, set aside.
  3. Combine egg whites, cream of tarter, and salt in medium bowl.
  4. Beat until foamy.
  5. Add sugar 1 tbls at a time, beating until egg whites are very stiff and glossy and sugar is disolved.
  6. beat in mint extract and food color.
  7. Fit a decorater bag with a large star tip.
  8. spoon meringue into bag.
  9. Pipe meringue in 1 inch puffs on prepared cookie sheets. (I just plopped them on with a spoon)
  10. Sprinkle with colored sugar if desired.
  11. Place cookie sheets on center rack of preheated oven.
  12. Bake for 2 hours.
  13. Remove from cookie sheet immediately, cool completely on wire racks.

Comments