Chinese Five Spice Oatmeal Cookies

I figured what better way than to kick off this blog with the best GF cookies I have made yet. I thought about going back in my regular blog to remind me of what I have made, but I figure anything that we really liked I will make again, so I will just take things as they come. I am sure I will take a big break from cooking when the baby comes, but let's see how far I get before then!

Chinese 5-Spice Oatmeal Cookies


2 cups gluten free oats
1 cup rice flour
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 ts xanthan gum
1 cup ground almonds
1 1/2 ts 5 spice powder
1 ts baking powder
1 ts ground cinnamon
1/2 ts salt
1 cup Earth Balance
1 cup granulated sugar or xylitol
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 1/2 ts vanilla

  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, ground nuts, 5-spice powder, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, cream the Earth Balance and both sugars until light and smooth.
  4. Add eggs and vanilla to the EB mixture and beat well.
  5. Add flour mixture to the EB mixture and beat until blended.
  6. Drop by mounded tablespoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets, leaving about 1 1/2" gap between each mound of batter.
  7. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until done to your liking.
  8. Cool on wire racks.
  9. Makes about 3 dozen cookies.

Comments